Welcome to the exciting world of canyoning! If you’re looking for an exhilarating adventure in the great outdoors, then canyoning in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley is perfect for you. In this article, we will explore the different canyons in the region and introduce you to the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, a historic partner that has been around for over 40 years. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for an adrenaline rush!
What is Canyoning?!
Canyoning is an activity that combines various elements of adventure, nature, and thrills. It’s a unique experience that allows you to discover the hidden wonders of canyons and gorges while refreshing yourself in the crystal-clear waters of rivers.
A Canyon Descent in the Heart of the Wilderness
Canyoning offers you a total immersion in the wild nature of canyons. Equipped with a wetsuit, helmet, and harness, you will explore gorges carved by centuries of water flow. As you descend the riverbed, you will overcome natural obstacles such as waterfalls, natural slides, jumps into water basins, and rappels along rocky walls.
Every moment spent in the canyon is an adventure in itself. You will be amazed by the beauty of the landscapes, the changing colors of the rocks, and the lush vegetation surrounding you. The sound of flowing water and the freshness of the splashes make this experience even more memorable.
Canyoning in Serre Chevalier, an Activity for All Levels
Whether you’re a beginner looking for your first canyoning experience or an experienced enthusiast seeking thrills, there is a canyon suitable for your level. The canyons offer a variety of obstacles and difficulties, ranging from easy and playful descents to more technical and demanding routes.
The guides from the Serre Chevalier Guides Office will guide you to the canyon that best matches your level and expectations. They will explain descent techniques, provide safety advice, and accompany you throughout the activity, allowing you to make the most of this adventure.
A Friendly Group Experience
Canyoning is also an ideal activity to share with a group. Whether you’re with family, friends, or on a company outing, this experience will strengthen bonds and create unforgettable shared memories. You can encourage each other, laugh together at the splashes and waterfalls, and experience moments of complicity in the heart of nature.
An Activity Supervised by Professionals
Safety is an absolute priority in canyoning. The guides from the Serre Chevalier Guides Office are experienced and qualified professionals. They have extensive knowledge of the canyons in the region, weather conditions, and the necessary equipment for a safe experience.
They will provide you with all the necessary equipment, explain safety rules, and guide you throughout the activity. You can focus on the adventure and discovery with confidence, knowing that you are in good hands.
Canyoning is an exhilarating experience that allows you to embark on an adventure in the heart of nature. With the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, you can safely explore the canyons of Serre Chevalier, guided by passionate professionals. Get ready to jump, slide, and descend along watercourses, explore breathtaking landscapes, and experience moments of pure adrenaline and enjoyment.
Discover the Serre Chevalier Guides Office: Mountain Tradition and Modernity for Adventure
The Serre Chevalier Guides Office is a true institution in the valley, enjoying a solid reputation for over 40 years. This historic partner combines mountain tradition and modernity to offer exceptional outdoor sports experiences, including canyoning. Whether you’re a fearless beginner or a seasoned adventurer, the Serre Chevalier Guides Office is there to guide you and create unforgettable moments.
Professionalism and Expertise
The team at the Serre Chevalier Guides Office consists of passionate and highly qualified guides. Their expertise and in-depth knowledge of the region make them trusted professionals ready to accompany you in all your mountain adventures. They make it a point of honor to ensure your safety while allowing you to fully enjoy each moment.
Whether you want to explore the canyons in the region, try climbing, go hiking, or engage in other outdoor activities, the guides from the Serre Chevalier Guides Office are there to provide knowledgeable advice and unforgettable experiences.
A Wide Range of Mountain Activities in Serre Chevalier
The Serre Chevalier Guides Office offers a diverse range of mountain activities to cater to all tastes and levels. Whether you’re looking for an intense canyoning adventure, an epic climbing ascent, or a family hike in the heart of nature, you will undoubtedly find an activity that suits your desires.
The goal of the Serre Chevalier Guides Office is to allow you to discover the beauty of the mountains in the region in an authentic and safe manner. With their in-depth knowledge of the terrain and their passion for the mountains, the guides will provide you with unique experiences where adrenaline and awe blend harmoniously.
A Safe and Memorable Experience
Safety is a top priority for the Serre Chevalier Guides Office. The High Mountain Guides are trained to assess the conditions of each activity and adapt their approach accordingly. You will be equipped with quality gear, and the guides will ensure you have all the necessary information before embarking on the adventure.
By choosing the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, you can enjoy every moment with confidence, knowing that you are in good hands. Let these passionate professionals guide you and let your adventure memories imprint deeply in your mind.
The Serre Chevalier Guides Office is the ideal partner to explore the wonders of the region and experience outdoor adventures in complete safety. With their professionalism, expertise, and passion for the mountains, the guides will provide you with unforgettable moments.
Discovering the Canyons of Serre Chevalier, Briançon
1. The Fournel Canyon: An Accessible and Playful Experience
The Fournel Canyon is a little gem nestled in a magnificent gorge not far from the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley. The Fournel Canyon is located in the municipality of L’Argentière-la-Bessée. With its breathtaking landscapes and playful obstacles, it’s the perfect canyon for a first canyoning experience or for those seeking a milder and more entertaining descent.
The Fournel Canyon: Aesthetic and Playful
From the very beginning of the adventure, the Fournel Canyon enchants adventurers with its picturesque landscapes. Clear waters meander through a narrow gorge, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding cliffs. Every corner of the canyon is a true natural masterpiece, creating a unique and immersive ambiance.
But the Fournel Canyon is not just about beauty. It also offers a series of playful obstacles such as jumps and natural slides. These elements add excitement and fun to the adventure, allowing participants to have a great time while exploring the wonders of this canyon.
Accessible to All Levels
The Fournel Canyon is specifically designed to be accessible to a wide audience. It is suitable for participants aged 12 and above, making it an excellent family activity for creating unforgettable memories together. Even canyoning beginners can embark on this adventure without feeling intimidated.
The difficulty of the Fournel Canyon is classified as “Discovery,” which means it is perfect for those who want to get introduced to canyoning or gradually ease back into the activity after a break. Slippery or steep sections are well managed and can be bypassed with small rappels (rope descents). A via ferrata section, an activity that combines climbing and hiking, is also included in the course, adding an extra adventurous touch to the experience.
Practical Information for the Fournel Canyon
Before embarking on the Fournel Canyon adventure, here are some practical information to know:
- Public: The Fournel Canyon is open to children aged 12 and above. However, arrangements can be made for younger children (8 to 10 years old) by booking a private outing.
- Swimming ability: It is essential to know how to swim to participate in this activity safely.
- Difficulty: The Fournel Canyon is classified as an introductory canyon . Although some sections may be slippery or steep, optional obstacles such as jumps and natural slides can be bypassed with small rappels. Swimming proficiency is essential for this activity.
- Duration: Plan for a full half-day for this adventure. The journey from the meeting point takes about 30 minutes, while the descent of the canyon lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Dates and Reservations
- The Fournel Canyon is scheduled for outings 1 to 2 times per week during the summer, but reservations upon request can also be arranged. To reserve your spot and enjoy this unforgettable experience, contact the Serre Chevalier Guides Office.
The Fournel Canyon is a true gem not far from the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley. With its aesthetic beauty, playful obstacles, and accessibility for all levels, it is a perfect choice for an unforgettable canyoning adventure. Join the Serre Chevalier Guides Office to experience the thrill and discover the wonders of the Fournel Canyon.
2. The Acles Canyon: A Memorable Canyoning Experience
The Acles Canyon is a canyon located in the Clarée Valley, near the charming village of Plampinet. It offers a half-day canyoning adventure with exciting challenges and breathtaking landscapes. If you are looking for a canyoning experience of moderate difficulty, the Acles Canyon is perfect for you.
The Acles Canyon: Varied Descents with Vertical Drops
The route of the Acles Canyon is highly diverse, offering a series of vertical drops that require the use of ropes. This canyon is ideal for those who want to become familiar with rappelling techniques in canyoning. Using the acquired skills, you will be able to descend drops up to 18 meters in height and venture into the adventure safely.
The Acles Canyon also offers other thrilling obstacles such as jumps, slides, and smaller rappels. Each step of the descent will provide an adrenaline rush and unforgettable moments in nature.
A Canyon Accessible to Different Skill Levels
The Acles Canyon is suitable for participants aged 12 and above. However, it is important to note that this canyon includes vertical drops that require rappelling skills. It is classified as a canyon of moderate difficulty, making it ideal for those who are already initiated and want to progress in their canyoning practice.
Slippery or steep sections may also be encountered throughout the course, adding an extra thrill to the experience. The experienced guides from the Serre Chevalier Guides Office will be there to accompany you and ensure a safe experience.
Practical Information for the Acles Canyon
Here are some practical information to know before embarking on the Acles Canyon adventure:
- Participants: The Acles Canyon is open to participants aged 12 and above.
- Difficulty: The canyon is classified as “Discovery” and “Intermediate.” It features vertical drops that require rappelling, with a maximum height of 18 meters. Rappelling skills are necessary to participate.
- Duration: Plan for a full half-day for this experience. The journey from the meeting point takes about 30 minutes, while the descent of the canyon lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Equipment: It is recommended to bring a “Canyoning Kit” including a full canyoning wetsuit, a helmet, a harness, and a rappel device. You will also need a swimsuit to wear under the wetsuit, a towel, spare clothes, and water shoes suitable for walking in water. Don’t forget to bring a fleece to wear under the wetsuit for cold protection.
- Transportation: Transportation is organized through carpooling between the guide and the participants to reach the activity location.
Suitable Period and Reservations
The Acles Canyon is generally accessible from mid-June to mid-September, depending on the water flow of the stream. The Serre Chevalier Guides Office organizes scheduled outings 1 to 2 times per week during the summer. Additional outings can also be arranged upon request.
To reserve your spot and experience an unforgettable canyoning adventure in the Acles Canyon, contact the Serre Chevalier Guides Office. Their dedicated team will provide you with all the necessary information and ensure that you have a memorable time in the Clarée Gorge.
The Acles Canyon offers an exciting and varied canyoning experience, suitable for intermediate skill levels. With its vertical drops, jumps, and slides, this canyon guarantees unforgettable memories. Prepare your equipment, reserve your spot, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in the Acles Canyon with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office.
3 Caprie Canyon: A Sporty, Aesthetic, and Playful Adventure
The Caprie Canyon, also known as “Orrido di Caprie,” is a canyon located in the Susa Valley in Italy. It is an unmissable canyoning experience that offers a unique combination of aesthetics, playfulness, and seriousness. With its magnificent pools carved into meta-gabbro rocks, remnants of the ancient Alpine Ocean, and facing the imposing “Sacra di San Michele,” this canyon is a must-visit in the region.
Caprie Canyon: Pools and Jumps
The Caprie Canyon offers an exciting program including no less than 14 jumps and slides, including a 12-meter-long slide. In addition to jumps and slides, you will also have the opportunity to do rappels, including a guided rappel, and even underground downclimbing. Each step of this adventure will be filled with excitement and fun.
Starting from Briançon in the early morning, you will receive your individual equipment, including a neoprene wetsuit, a helmet, and a harness, before heading to the area above the Italian village of Caprie. Once equipped and after receiving the safety instructions, you will immediately dive into the adventure with a 20-meter rappel. Then, you will enjoy a festival of jumps, slides, rappels, and walks. The narrow sections of the canyon hold the most beautiful surprises.
Practical Information for the Caprie Canyon
Here are some practical information to know before embarking on the Caprie Canyon adventure:
- Participants: The Caprie Canyon is open to teenagers aged 14 and above.
- Difficulty: The canyon is classified as “Intermediate” and “Advanced.” It is imperative to know how to rappel and swim to participate. Jumps can reach a height of 7 meters, and slides can measure up to 12 meters. Some sections of the canyon may be slippery.
- Duration: Plan for a full day for this adventure. The journey from the meeting point takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, while the descent of the canyon lasts approximately 4 hours. The return to Briançon is scheduled around 5 p.m.
- Equipment: It is recommended to bring a “Canyoning Kit” including a full canyoning wetsuit, a helmet, a harness, and a rappel device. You will also need a swimsuit to wear under the wetsuit, a towel, spare clothes, and water shoes suitable for walking in water. Don’t forget to bring a fleece to wear under the wetsuit for cold protection. Also, remember to bring your identification card.
- Suitable Period and Reservations: The Caprie Canyon is accessible from mid-June to September, depending on the water flow of the stream. The Serre Chevalier Guides Office organizes scheduled outings primarily on Thursdays and Fridays during the summer. Additional outings can be organized upon request.
- To participate in this unforgettable adventure in the Caprie Canyon, meet at the Riquet Sports store in Briançon, under the cable car, in the early morning. The precise meeting time will be communicated to you upon registration.
The Caprie Canyon is a canyoning experience that combines aesthetics, playfulness, and seriousness. With its magnificent pools, jumps, slides, and rappels, this canyon offers an unforgettable adventure in a spectacular setting. Prepare your equipment, reserve your spot, and get ready to experience an exciting adventure in the Caprie Canyon with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office.
Canyoning in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon area is an exciting activity that allows you to discover the beautiful gorges and canyons of the region. Thanks to the partnership with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, a historical reference in the valley for over 40 years, you can experience safe and memorable adventures. From the gentle introduction of the Fournel Canyon to the moderate difficulty of the Acles Canyon and the sportiness of the Caprie Canyon, there is something for every level and preference.
Now that we have explored the different canyons in the region, let’s go through some frequently asked questions about canyoning in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley.
FAQs about Canyoning in the Serre Chevalier & Briançon Valley
- Q: What equipment do I need to bring for canyoning? A: When participating in a canyoning session, the Serre Chevalier Guides Office will provide you with the necessary equipment, including a neoprene wetsuit, a helmet, and a harness. Just make sure to bring suitable water shoes, such as canyoning shoes or sturdy hiking shoes.
- Q: Do I need prior experience to do canyoning? A: No, you do not need prior canyoning experience to participate. The canyons in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley offer courses suitable for all levels, from beginners to experienced participants. The experienced guides will accompany you and ensure a safe introduction.
- Q: What is the best time of year for canyoning in the region? A: The best time to do canyoning in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley is generally from May to September, when the weather conditions are more favorable. However, it is always recommended to contact the Serre Chevalier Guides Office for updated information on conditions and availability.
- Q: What are the advantages of choosing the Serre Chevalier Guides Office? A: The Serre Chevalier Guides Office is a longstanding partner in the region, with a strong reputation and extensive experience in the field of canyoning. Their professional and passionate guides are trained to ensure your safety while providing an unforgettable experience. Additionally, their in-depth knowledge of the local canyons will allow you to discover the most beautiful sites in the region.
- Q: How can I book a canyoning session with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office? A: To book a canyoning session with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, you can visit their official website or contact them directly by phone. They will be happy to assist you in planning your adventure and answer any questions you may have.
- Q: What other activities can I engage in with the Serre Chevalier Guides Office? A: The Serre Chevalier Guides Office offers a variety of other activities in addition to canyoning. You can enjoy rafting, rock climbing, via ferrata, mountain hiking, and much more. They can also organize multi-activity stays so you can experience all the wonders of the region.
And, to put the final touch,n
Canyoning in the Serre Chevalier and Briançon Valley is an exciting activity that allows you to explore the stunning gorges and canyons of the region. Through the Serre Chevalier Guides Office, a trusted partner with a wealth of experience, you can enjoy secure and unforgettable adventures. Whether you choose the Fournel Canyon for a gentle introduction, the Acles Canyon for a moderate challenge, or the Caprie Canyon for a sporty experience, there are canyoning options for every skill level and preference.